Monday, May 09, 2005

Ghostopia, Chapter 18: Second Day

"So you mean she's probably bitter about the way she died?"
"Heck, most of us younger ones are. Just seems weird that she hasn't gotten over it after so long."
"Exactly how long has she been in Ghostopia?"
"I don't know, she was here even before I set up my stall."
"And how long have you been here?"
"Um," Nelson scratched his chin. "It's hard to tell, I don't keep track of time here. But it can't be less than a year."
"So she's been at it at this while - this consperson thing?"
"Yeap. Each and every day."
Suddenly an intoxicating humming sound filled the cell. "Huh," yawned Nelson. "That sound. It's so..."
"Sleepy..." Darren's head drooped. "Sleepeee..."
Without even realising it, they both dozed off.

"Up, up, all three of you!" A loud voice barked, jolting them awake.
Darren stirred first, followed by the other two. Already rays of morning sunlight were casting shadows on the wall.
"Who's that?" mumbled Kat dreamily.
"I SAID UP!" The voice repeated itself, raised this time. "Go home - you, you, and you!"
They staggered to their feet, still unsure of what was going on. Unlocking their cell door was, as anyone could guess, a Spook.
"So...no charges?" Darren grinned.
The Spook only grunted.
"Heh...I'll take that as a no."
Quietly they filed out, grabbed their belongings from the counter in front, and stepped out of the station. It was a bright breezy morning, not unlike when Darren first found himself in Ghostopia.
"Man, it's getting late. Let's go home and wash up, then I'm off to the marketplace." quipped Nelson.
"Sure."
Kat didn't say a word. She just walked off, hands in pockets.
"Where's she headed to?"
"How would I know?"
"Hey!" Darren caught up with her. "Why don't you come stay with us till you find somewhere better?"
Kat turned around with that "leave me alone, pal" look on her. "You're still at it, aren't you? What are you trying to get out of me, Darren? What exactly do you want, huh?"

No comments: