Saturday, August 27, 2005

Ghostopia, Chapter 54: So That's Who They Are!

"You have no idea what a pleasure it is for me to meet you, Mr. Nelson," Mortie grinned so gleefully it was almost frightening. "I've been searching high and low for you, and now here you are sitting in front of me. This is so surreal...now the trio is complete."
Nelson frowned. "What trio?"
"Acting dumb, eh? Have you forgotten the other two who came back with you?"
A knock sounded on the door. Darren got up to open it.
"You mean Lucas and Andrea are with you?" Nelson asked.
"Who?"
A soaked Kat walked through the door, impolitely wringing the water from her clothes to the floor. "Bad news, Mortie. Todd and Scarlet have been arrested. I only managed to get Fletcher and Amelia to come."
Fletcher and Amelia stepped through behind Kat. Nelson glanced at them, and gasped in utter disbelief.
"LUCAS? ANDREA? What the heck are you guys doing here?"
The two stared at him, shell-shocked themselves. "Nelson?"
Mortie eyed the three of them over and over. "Oh, now I get it - Fletcher and Amelia, you changed your names!"
A faint gasp escaped Darren's lips too. He couldn't help it - it was quite a relevation for him. So Fletcher and Andrea were actually the two survivors Nelson spoke of!
"Yeah," Amelia bowed her head. "We couldn't go on as Lucas and Andrea - the authorities were hot on our heels after the ExorPrism incident. I'm surprised you didn't change your name as well, Nelson."
"I tried to," Nelson said. "But it was just too much trouble. In the end I settled for laying low as a peddler in the marketplace."
"Well, I'm glad you've finally decided to do the right thing for a change," Fletcher snorted. "Because if I remember clearly, you were the one who botched our second escape. We could've done it with that last ExorPrism you had, but you had to walk out on us."
Nelson laughed. "I beg to differ. In case I didn't make myself clear, I'm not here to help you guys. I'm here to put a stop to your plans."
Darren grimaced, not sure what the reaction of the room would be.
"Very good," Mortie chuckled, clapping his hands mockingly. "So the infamous Nelson is going to make life difficult for us. Ha ha ha ha."
Fletcher gritted his teeth. "You're not doing this again, you imbecile. I've waited so long, worked so hard for this chance to live again, and I'll be darned if you're gonna be in my way."
Nelson and him locked eyes intensely. "You're still as naive as you were back then. Haven't you gotten it into your head already that we're supposed to be dead? Trying to undo that is only going to hurt ourselves, and those who're still alive." said Nelson.
"Still harping on that one you killed, eh?"
"Don't you start on that," he inhaled deeply. "It doesn't matter any more."

No comments: