Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Murder In 5sc1 (Conclusion)

It's here, it's here, IT'S HERE!

Eight days since the murders started, we now come to the end of it all. Grab your front row seats, we're gonna get up close and personal with the Murderer.

To make things even more exciting, today's finale will be presented in special Black Text to prevent spoilers. You know what to do - highlight the text, scroll down and gasp in horror. If you haven't read the first 4 parts yet, hello, go do so now!

Enough talk. Someone's getting blood-thirsty.

This is it.

Murder In 5sc1 (Conclusion)

Sathia fell first to the ground with a sickening thud.

Dead from a direct headshot.

Philip stared next at Kim, who was bleeding profusely from her stomach where a bullet had gone in. She gazed back at him in confused shock and pain.

"Wh-why did you..." she collapsed to the floor, wheezing as the life seeped out of her.

"No!" Philip cried out. "It wasn't me! I swear!"

Kim's eyes fixed back at him glassily. She wasn't sure what to believe. Did Sathia shoot her before killing herself? Or was Philip lying to her?

There was no strength left to think. She was slowly slipping into unconsciousness.

"Kim..." Philip knelt beside her, tears welling in his eyes. "Don't die..."

"She will die. And then you."

Philip felt the blood in his veins run cold.

"I planned it all, Philip. Hope you liked it."

Now everything made sense to him. The note in Boon's pocket. The lights going out. The gunshots.

The body lying near the teacher's desk.

"I'm the killer." Cassandra got up, dusted her skirt and peeled off the bloodied slit at her neck.

"Made this at home with starch and food colouring." she gestured at it. "It's easy."

The sheer detail of her scheme ran through his mind like a sadistic film reel. She had much earlier convinced Boon to help her rig the fuse and door. Then she came to class before any of them, put on the makeup and created an elaborate murder scene. In the midst of the chaos and darkness, she was able to shoot Vivian without any of them noticing. Boon had obviously been poisoned earlier in the morning. Then finally, the rest were shot while a pre-hidden smoke device was activated. All while he was keeping an eye on the rest of his classmates.

"I loved you, Philip." she smiled and slid another pistol out of her pocket. "But you only paid attention to girls like Sathia and Kim."

"I did everything to make you notice me. I became a prefect. I tried to call you before your birthday."

"I hope I finally got your attention, Philip."

His feet buckled, making him tumble to the floor paralysed.

"I'll kill her first." she pointed the gun at Kim.

Bang! A second bullet finished off the already-unconscious Kim.

"Th...the police will be h-here soon. They'll a-arrest you."

"Sorry dear, dead men tell no tales. They'll only hear my side of the story."

She turned the gun to him.

"I love you."

Bang!

*****

2 Weeks Later

"Some part of me actually blames myself for all that happened." Cassandra testified calmly before a packed courtroom. "I never imagined that he was trying to get my attention all along. He was the class monitor, the popular guy, always surrounded by girls. I was the quiet one. We were from different worlds."

"If I had known his feelings for me, I would never have started dating Khee Boon. I imagine the jealousy he must have felt when he found out. It must have been hard on his ego too. The popular guy losing out to the class nerd."

She paused, trying not to let her voice break up.

"It was my fault. I should have been aware of the signs. Especially the way he suddenly brought soup for Boon that morning. It was poison. He was a genius. He purposely chose a day forecast with thunderstorms, and rigged the fuse to trip easily. The guns and smoke device...all hidden in the room beforehand."

"M-my classmates," Tears began rolling down her cheeks. "He murdered them one by one in cold blood. Then he turned to me and asked whether I loved him. I...I lied and said yes."

She cried, unable to continue.

"Cassandra, look at me. Tell us what happened next."

She breathed in deeply.

"He shot himself in the head."

A deathly silence filled the room.

"I don't know why. I should be dead."

*****

3 Months Later

"Psst."

"Hm?"

"A note. From that new girl...what's her name again."

"Cassie."

"Oh, yeah. Weirdo."

"That's not very nice."

"Haha. Who cares? Sorry anyway, but I accidentally took a peek. She's asking you for a movie."

"Uh oh."

"Think she's got the hots for you, man."

"Yikes. How am I gonna turn her down?"

"Just tell her no. What's she gonna do - murder you?"

THE END.

6 comments:

Chin Eu said...

Ahhh, i think i know where you got the ending idea from. But still, very interesting short story!!

mOkKiEs said...

hahaha...you know i know ler...
thanks for reading! glad you enjoyed it. =)

Hilary said...

gagaga , the story looked long , but thanks! I manage to read it in 5 minutes =D

Chee Chiaw said...

You deserve a "Sharon Loh likes this." Medal!
Hahaha...

Brilliant!

You've redeemed yourself from the infamous magically-appearing Agong!
hahaha...

Unknown said...

ooohh....didn't see that ending coming..........

nice one, mok! xD

steambunz said...

lol..i was actually imagining philip with all the gals during his high school days...LOL...

nice one!