Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The New Girl, Chapter 12

"What does it say?" Jean looked over her shoulder.
"I-it's from Saras." May showed her the note.
Jean carefully read it and scrunched up her face. Then she went through it over and over till May was sure she had memorised it. "They're doing it again."
"Doing what?"
"Messing around with your head. You know, making you think that I'm the enemy."
"Huh?" May's eyes darted through the sheet again. "I must've missed that."
"See?" Jean ran a finger across a line. "Guess you should have listened to my advice and not get too close to your good ol' buddy beside you. She's telling you that I'm part of the problem!"
"But what on earth is the problem?" How she wished things would be less confusing for just this once.
"I don't know. You won't know either. Only time will tell what Saras is capable of this time."
"Come on, it's just a dumb messa-"
"They're witches and they hate me, don't you get it! And now they're out to get you too, because you're on my side!"
May paused and swallowed. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Jean, I know where you're coming from. But it isn't going to solve anything if we keep moaning and griping about how bad they are. Let's just show them that we're fed up with their bullying and go to the teachers. That would be the right thing to do."
"No it's not. You can trust me on this one. We've got to fight fire with fire."
"And that would mean?"
"I've been reading up a bit myself," Jean's eyes turned cold. "On their black magic and how it works. I'll tell you more in the garden later."
"But until then," she warned. "Make sure you steer clear of them."
May nodded solemnly. Not a chance, a voice in her head said. I'm going to confront Saras and get to the bottom of this mess first thing at recess.

No comments: