Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Slumber (Part 7 of 10)

Last night, I somehow ended up in a dingy cybercafe playing Starcraft with my boss till 12am. Got abso-freaking-lutely OWNED. I can't believe how sucky I've become.

Slumber (Part 7 of 10)

"You'll be going back as the dream, and I the dreamer."

"What that simply means," Bo snapped. "Is that I'll be a real person, in the real world."

"And me?"

"It's hard to tell. You could become a stuffed toy like myself. Or a favourite blankie, a good bedtime story, a nice thought. Anything that breathes life to dreams."

Jenny didn't like the sound of it.

"All we need to do is lie together on the Great Bed."

She shook her head. "No. I want to go back as myself."

He sneered. "You pretty well know there's no chance of that. You'll never find the Great Bed without me."

Suddenly, an unexpected wheeze made them jump. The Scatter Witch!

"I am the Scatter Witch," she smiled. "I watch over all dreams, all denizens of dreams and I say when they end.

"I knew sooner or later you would want everything for yourself. And you would figure that this dream is mine and mine alone. But it was brilliant, I must say, trying to get Jenny to take your place. I do believe this is the first time a dream denizen has tried to become real."

"But I knew. And I took some...let's say, precautionary measures."

"The Great Bed?" Her fingers darted apart to demonstrate ka-boom. "No longer exists in this dream."

Bo's eyes widened in anger and disbelief. "The Twins..."

"Me. Me. All me."

She cackled, like all good witches do. "You'll still end up a stuffed dragon in the morning, Bo. You're not as special as you paint yourself. Others have tried to take over Slumber. I saw through them every time."

"And you," A twiggy finger pointed at Jenny. "You shall never dream again. Your dreams give rise to Bo, and I cannot risk him returning."

"Stupid witch."

"What?"

"Stupid witch." Bo sat stone-faced. He tapped the ground twice.

Like summoned, Black emerged from the woods towing a fallen Lenny behind it. The Scatter Witch shook violently - from fear or fury, Jenny couldn't tell.

"Lenny," Bo said coolly. "Wake us all up."

No comments: